Hard to believe today, but the Great Snipe used to be so common in South Africa that it was hunted in large numbers by snipers (yes, that's where the word comes from). It then disappeared for about 80 years. However, could two separate sightings in January 2015 herald a return of this spectacular wader? That would be great indeed.
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING SPECIFIC? Contents of blog posts are also organised by topic and family/species in the Birds page. Ditto for other Biodiversity.
- New birds in Southern Africa: A tale of two lists November 26, 2018
- Faansie’s Bird Book: Reviews..please September 18, 2018
- Bird calls for beginners September 18, 2018
- Cederkloof Photographic Retreat: 5-7 October 2018 August 27, 2018
- Faansie’s Bird Book – a fully fledged field guide…for kids August 17, 2018